M, T, W, Th: 8 AM - 4 PM, Fri: 8 AM - 12 Noon
Dog Control Office
The Dog Control Officer handles stray dogs and dogs causing problems. He does not handle other domestic animals, including cats and does not handle wild animals. Dogs that are picked up are kept for 5 days. If not claimed by their owner they are adopted out or euthanized.
Dog Control Issues
All dog control issues should be referred to the Town of New Haven Dog Control Officer, Ron Abbott at 963-0944. If you get an answering machine you should leave a message. Please do not contact other towns for New Haven dog issues. Only the New Haven Dog Control Officer has the authority to respond to these matters in the town of New Haven.
- All dogs over the age of 4 months are required by New York State law to be licensed in the town in which they are harbored.
- All dogs must carry a tag with the dogs license number affixed to the dogs collar at all times.
- No dog may run at large unless restrained by an adequate leash or under the control of the owner or a responsible person able to control it by command.
- No dog may engage in habitual loud howling, barking, crying, etc.
- Failure to comply with any of the above may result in a ticket being issued
The fee for licensing dogs in the Town of New Haven is $7.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $15.00 for Unspayed or Unneutered dogs. A valid rabies certificate is required to license a dog. A spay/neuter certificate is also required to be eligible for the lower rate.
Dogs may now be licensed for up to three years at a time. The rabies vaccination must be valid for at least part of each year the license is issued for.
Get your dog licensed and have him wear his tags.